Sherlock - our school dog
Meet our new school dog - Sherlock.
He is a cockapoo and is hypoallergenic so less likely to cause an allergic reaction in humans.
Sherlock is only very young and is still learning.
When in school Sherlock will be mainly in the SLT office. He will only move through the school at certain times.
There are many benefits to having a school dog, including:
- a calming effect on pupils, particularly those with behavioural or learning difficulties
- improved behaviour and concentration, reduced stress and improved self-esteem
- encouraging expression and participation in more withdrawn children
- fostering a sense of responsibility
- motivating pupils to think and to learn, as most children have a high level of natural interest in, enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals
- encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils’ relationships with each other, parents and teachers
- teaching children to nurture and respect life
- helping work undertaken with the most vulnerable children, and educational improvements with low achievers
- helping children build confidence in reading
What's Sherlock getting up to in school ...